Monday, July 20, 2009

The Soundtrack of Life

I love music.

I love the beat of it, the melody of it, the elaborate composition that creates a song or a piece. I love the way so many instruments and notes can come together and make a harmonious sound. And I love the simplicity of it too.... the delicate shivers I can receive from just one lone fine note.(insert image of a single harmonica note played at a campfire in the desert at night)
I love the way it can make me feel as happy as a lark... and as alone as the nightingale.

Music helps me to stimulate thought and to slow down my thinking when there is too much going on in my head. It has been my constant companion over the last three years during my long commutes. It has helped me to delight in old memories, get pumped up for a long day, and remember and grieve for my daughter. Music has been a release for me like no other in recent months.

There is just something about just the right song isn't there? You know... THE song. The one that you have been listening to on your radio( or Ipod for you technologically savvy folks) over and over again in the last few weeks. It does something, touches an emotion or thought somewhere inside us.
For me, it makes me feel alive.
It also helps me to connect deeply at times with our Savior.
I can lift up my voice and my vulnerable heart to God with the loudest song or softest whisper... and as the music pours over me I know that He is listening.
And sometimes in the song.....He is speaking.

As often as I stumble upon a new song that quickly gets added to my playlist, I am just as often seeking out songs that I have heard in the past and know I will love..... and secretly adding them to my own personal playlist... you know.... The Soundtrack of my life.
I am not ashamed to admit that I will often (and I do mean often becuase I spend hours upon hours in the car with the radio and my ipod:) hear a new song or an old song and have an Aha! moment as to how that song will fit into or define my life. The writer in me is always dying to tell a story( even an average one, tsk, tsk) and is always looking for ways to accent and articulate the essence of the story. Sometimes, when I hear a song I know just the moment or memory in my life that it will define.
The Soundtrack of my life is an ever evolving list. I dont think that it will ever stop growing or changing.
And this is the beauty of it.
There is always another moment of life to create and always another song to define it.

My Life soundtrack includes songs from Creedence Clearwater Revival, MercyMe, Caedmon's Call, Dixie Chicks, and Aerosmith to name a few... there might even be a song in there from New Kids on the Block. :)

Do you have a soundtrack to your life? And if so, what is it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok...mine would include songs written by:(sorta by chronological order)...Tiffany, Paula Abdul, Michael W. Smith, Petra ;), NewsBoys, DC Talk, TuPac (for my rebel days), Hillsong, Third Day, Brad Paisley, Leanne Womack, Avril Lavigne, Casting Crowns, Chris Tomlin...just to name a few.
Tami :)