Sunday, May 24, 2009

Rock or Sand

There is a great lyric in a Jennifer Knapp song( my favorite song right now, Trinity) that goes " Where do I stand on the rock or in the sand?. O' Holy Spirit won't you help me understand Holy spirit won't you say a prayer for me?"
This song really reminds me of a song from long ago. When I was a little girl, my mom taught me this song:
The wise man built his house upon the rock
The wise man built his house upon the rock
The wise man built his house upon the rock
And the rain came tumbling down
Oh, the rain came down
And the floods came up
The rain came down
And the floods came up
The rain came down
And the floods came up
And the wise man's house stood firm.
The foolish man built his house upon the sand
The foolish man built his house upon the sand
The foolish man built his house upon the sand
And the rain came tumbling down
Oh, the rain came down
And the floods came up
The rain came down
And the floods came up
The rain came down
And the floods came up
And the foolish man's house went "splat!" [clap hands once]
So, build your house on the Lord Jesus Christ
Build your house on the Lord Jesus Christ
Build your house on the Lord Jesus Christ
And the blessings will come down
Oh, the blessings come down
As your prayers go up
The blessings come down
As your prayers go up
The blessings come down
As your prayer go up
So build your house on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Its a very repetitive song as you can see, but becuase of that, it still rings in my head at 29 years old. And everytime I listen to Jennifer Knapp I think of this song too.... and I can't help but reflect on my life and where I am headed... but also, what I am building my house upon.
I think its easy to get distracted by many of the attractive things in life. Not just possessions of course, but a way of life, ways of living, ways of acting... its easy for me to want to build my house and the foundations of my relationships and other things in the sand.
But I dont want that deep down, not really, I dont want a house on the sand.
During this refining period I am taking a deep look at myself, looking at my intent, at the life Cliff and I are building..... and I want to make certain that it is not built in the sand, that I am not building a temporary fortress that will wash away when the rains come....
I want a house built on the rock... so that when the rains come they will not wash away but instead will be blessings on our heads.

No comments: